Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Mirror Image by Sandra Brown - Review


Mirror Image by Sandra Brown 


Plot:

A jet crash handed Avery Daniels a golden opportunity. Mistaken for Carole Rutledge, the badly injured Avery has found that plastic surgery has given her Carole's face, the famous senatorial candidate for a husband, and a powerful Texas dynasty for in-laws. She makes the shattering discovery that someone close to the senator plans to assassinate him. Now to save the life of the man she loves, Avery must live another woman's life-and risk her own.


Grandma Lydia and Katerina's Spoilers

 err... an argument actually!

Let me introduce you folks to my loving Grandma. Well she's not my Lola technically. But she's someone I grew up with. She is my book buddy. I was take after her I think. I grew up sneaking on her personal library. That part of the house is actually our sanctuary. 

Well, as I grew, bantering about books has become our everyday ritual. 

Here's one of our memorable debate about Sandra Brown's masterpiece. I was recording my review and plan to post it on youtube. So I start narrating...

Catey: ahm... first of all... the story's actually lacking of realism-- 

Lola  Lydia : Huh? It is fiction, Catey! It not real. Why expect realism on it?   

Catey: I know, I know... (with my sour look) Will you hear me out first? I want you to stop reading literotica stuff from the internet. I want your full attention.

'Kay, I was ignored by my loving Grandma. She still continue reading from her Ipad. So I decided to keep going. 

I know my Lola, she's a multi tasker. She can play Clash of Clans and read at the same time while her Television is on. 

Catey: Lola, don't close my app, okay? I'm still updating it!

Lola Lydia: Yeah, yeah whateverrr...   (then she went busy again) 

Catey: Where are we? (I looked at the camera again.) Okay when i say lacking of realism? Let me tell you.

- how can a plane crash victim survive when 80% of her body was burned and damaged? More than likely, she'll die in an infection. Or suffer some serious complications.

The book was outdated, which is okay.  

Even with the present technology, there's no breakthrough yet on restoring the face of a burn patient. What more back then?

And she healed within 3 to 6 months? 

Healing process takes years. Plus numerous therapies and all that. 

On the story she was aware that she wasn't Carole. but she played along because of her inability to speak. 

But in fairness, when you became drawn to Ms. Brown's writings, you tend to forget the loopholes on it. I think she can get away with it since she's more focus on in depth feelings of her character more than superficiality and bling -blings.

Though the book was published during the early eighties, but I don't feel like I am more than two decades behind. She never pinpoint car models, hair style, or clothing. When she talks about it, she only mention few details. 

She mentioned some designer brand stuff, but never go in depth on material things. 

Unlike the other authors i have read. Where authors always mention the monetary value of things in her story. 

Some authors write unnecessary details to the point that she would tell you if the condom is made in china.
    
Lola Lydia : Condoms!? (she peeked though her eye glasses as she looked at me.)

Catey :    Lola, you pick that up loud and clear? 

Lola Lydia : Oh of course! I hate condoms. It's giving me an itch.

Catey:    (my jaw dropped) 'La! the camera's rolling, you know!

Lola Lydia :  Just edit it then! 

Catey:    You are already menopause even before Grandpa dies!

(Nah ah. She ignored me. She looked too absorbed on what she was reading.)

Anyway... Tate (the husband) was clueless that the woman he called Carole was somebody else.

He hated his wife Carole (soon to be ex because they were in a process of separation before the plane crash happened.) 

 He seemed to be confused of the new Carole he is facing now. How come that she became a devoted wife and loving mother after the crash?

Life and death experience is no excuse. Carole was an adulterer, mean to their daughter, estranged to his family. 

Okay let me skip a little bit. Because you already knew what happened, right? Just like we watched on movies or soap. Fairly predictable.

Well... if I am Avery, I would have impostor-ed Carole too. Ooh lala!! His bed prowess amazed me!!! He can make love with different emotions.

- when he's angry
- when he's confused
- when he felt free to express it all!

Okay baby, you can be rough on me. Bring it on!

Lola Lydia : Huuu! what a flirt! (she rolled her eyes then resume playing Fishdom)

Catey : (ignore mode) Ooh! The ending was superb. 

"When you look at me, whom did you see?"

"I saw the woman who saved my life. The woman I love. the woman who carries my child." 

"What I mean is--"

"I know what you mean..." he leaned over to the couch and kissed her lovingly " I see Avery."

Eeekkk!!! Tate, hayyy... (Kilig mode)

Lola Lydia: Hoy! You're already late for the Guild Fight!

Catey: OMGeee!  (I ran upstairs to get my tablet and I forgot to turn off the video camera)



No comments:

Post a Comment